Kid’s Club Activity: Make a Bird Feeder
Now is the time to think about feeding the birds! Birds need extra food through the winter months as the weather gets colder. You can support our feathered friends by making them feeders. What you’ll need:
- Paper towel rolls
- Sunflower seed butter (peanut-free)/Peanut butter
- Popsicle stick/butter knife/brush
- Tray/plate to hold the seed
- Pour a half-cup (or so) of the birdseed into the tray/plate
- Spread butter (somewhat thickly) over the surface of the paper roll
- Dip and roll into the plate. Covering all surfaces with the seed
- Thread string through the center of the roll and tie to create a way to hang your feeder
- Find a good spot in a tree or large shrub where you can view your feeder and watch the birds stop for a bite to eat. (They might even wave a winged ‘thanks’ if you watch closely).
- Send us a picture of your feeder, and tell us about the birds you saw eating from it. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured in our social media. All completed bird feeders will receive a stamp on their Sloat Kids Club Card the next time you visit our stores.