Here’s how to force Paper Whites to bloom.
- Choose a bowl or vase
- Add a 2-inch layer of rocks or pebbles to the bottom
- Place a few paperwhite bulbs on top of the rocks, pointy end up.
- Add water to the container, up to the edge of the bulb
- Check the water level each day and keep the arrangement in an open area
- Wait 6 weeks and watch them bloom!
About Paper Whites
The Paper White Narcissus is a bulb commonly used as a “forced” pot-plant around the winter holidays. Planted in shallow dishes or vases filled with pebbles, the bulbs will bloom just 6 weeks from the time they are started. Many people enjoy watching the daily progress of the roots in a clear vase. The speed with which they grow make them an ideal kid’s project. The fragrance is sweet and reminds us of sunshine in the dark of winter.
After the bloom has finished, plant the bulbs outdoors in a sunny location and let the foliage wither naturally. The blossoms will be back to see you the following winter. You can just as easily use paper whites in the garden like any other bulb. They will bloom naturally in late December and January reminding us that spring is on the way.