- Now is a is a good time to re-pot houseplants and succulents in anticipation of spring growth.
- Healthy Soil is key. We recommend amending your soil with Sloat Loam Builder, Sloat Forest Mulch Plus or Sloat Planting Mix. Also, add E.B Stone’s Agricultural Lime or Foxfarm Cal Mag to soil to provide needed calcium for vegetables & fruit and to prevent blossom end rot.
- If you compost at home, it’s time to empty your bin of winter-aged compost and use it when preparing your beds. This will make room for next season’s trimmings and clippings.
- Plant early blooming plants like Peonies, Lilacs, flowering plums and Magnolias. You can also plant Mediterranean plants such as Leucadendrons, Lavender and Rosemary. Ceanothus and Manzanita are great California Native choices.
- Protect your plants from slugs and snails with Sluggo or Sluggo Plus.
- Now is the time to plant edibles: Potatoes, garlic, onions, rhubarb, and asparagus.
- Prune and cut back perennials and ornamental grasses. Prune Lavender back to emerging growth for best spike production this coming summer. Feed plants after pruning with E.B. Stone Organics All Purpose or Rose and Flower Food.
- Stop the weeds! Weeds that begin with winter rains go to seed in March & April, but the clever gardener never lets them get that far. Pull weeds now before they go to seed and apply corn gluten to prevent weed seed germination.
- Finish pruning roses, shrubs, and trees. After pruning feed roses with E.B. Stone Alfalfa Meal and E.B. Stone Naturals Sul-Po-Mag to promote healthy canes.
- It’s time to think about starting seeds. Most seeds are started 6-8 weeks prior to the last frost.
- Add summer flowering Gladiolas and Dahlias to your garden.
- In February we have the best blueberry selection of the year. Stop in!
- Protect citrus from rodents with Repels All Ready to Use.
- Deadhead Cyclamen to keep them in bloom.
- After pruning, be sure to clean your tools.
- Feed the birds: We carry Audubon brand seed, Songbird Blend, Nut & Berry, Nyjer thistle, and Sunflower Seed. Also we have suet in 6 flavors to attract a variety of birds from woodpeckers to phoebes. Finch Socks with Nyjer are easy to use and popular with the birds!
Curious if we have your favorite plant or product in stock? Call one of our locations directly and we'll be happy to check.